In this lesson you will learn how to play the E Major guitar chord, the 7 chords in the key of E as well as many popular songs to practice along with.
E Major is a great beginner guitar chord for 3 reasons:
- It requires 3 fingers but is a relatively easy shape to make
- It is a foundation of literally hundreds, if not thousands of popular songs
- You strum all 6 strings, so you don’t have to worry about stray notes or muting
How to Play the E Major Guitar Chord
If the above chart is foreign to you, check out our lesson on How to Read Guitar Chord Diagrams.
Be sure to strum all 6 strings when playing an E Major chord.
E Major Chord Fingering:
- Second (Middle) finger on the second fret of the A string
- Third (ring) finger on the second fret of the D string
- First (Index) finger on the first fret of the G string
Popular E Major Chord Progressions
Chords in the Key of E Major
Read More on The Key of E Major
Popular Songs in E Major
"Mean" - Taylor Swift
"Beast of Burden" - The Rolling Stones
"Sweet Caroline" - Neil Diamond
"Born In the USA" - Bruce Springsteen